- The definition of abatement refers to the process of something ending or becoming less than it was at a prior time.
An example of abatement would be the reduction in a government fee.
- Abatement is defined as the interruption or end of something.
An example of abatement is when a court case is stopped due to the termination of a law suit.
- a lessening or reduction
- an amount deducted; extent of a reduction
- Law the termination of a suit, quashing of a nuisance, etc.
Origin of abatementOFr: see abate
- Reduction in amount, degree, or intensity; diminution.
- The amount lowered; a reduction.
- Law The act of reducing something, such as a tax, for some period of time or of eliminating something, such as a nuisance, permanently.
- The act of abating, or the state of being abated; a lessening, diminution, or reduction; a moderation; removal or putting an end to; the suppression of. [First attested from 1340 to 1470.]
- the abatement of a nuisance is the suppression thereof.
- The amount abated; that which is taken away by way of reduction; deduction; decrease; a rebate or discount allowed; in particular from a tax. [Late 15th century.]
- (heraldry) A mark of dishonor on an escutcheon; any figure added to the coat of arms tending to lower the dignity or station of the bearer. [Early 17th century.]
- (law) The action of a person that abates, or without proper authority enters a residence after the death of the owner and before the heir takes possession.
- (law) The reduction of the proceeds of a will, when the debts have not yet been satisfied; the reduction of taxes due. [First attested around 1150 to 1350.]
abatement - Investment & Finance Definition
The reduction or suspension of payments. For example, a municipality may give a corporation tax abatements to lure the corporation to the city. An abatement also may be used in a contract in the event that some extraordinary situation arises. See also tax abatement.
abatement - Legal Definition
- The act of abating.
- The process of, or the state of, being abated.
- The amount abated.