- The definition of a suspension is a device or framework that supports weight.
An example of a suspension is the springs and shocks in a car.
- Suspension is defined as a time period during which something temporarily stops or is put on hold.
- When a student is told not to come to school for a week because of bad behavior, this is an example of a suspension.
- When you put your disbelief on hold long enough to enjoy a movie about magic, this is an example of suspension of disbelief.
An automobiles suspension system.
suspension definition by Webster's New World
- a suspending or being suspended; specif.,
- a temporary barring from an office, school, etc.
- a temporary stoppage of payment, service, etc.
- a temporary canceling, as of rules
- a deferring of action on a sentence
- a holding back of a judgment, etc.
- a supporting device or framework upon or from which something is suspended
- the system of springs, shocks, etc. supporting a vehicle upon its undercarriage or axles
- the act or means of suspending the balance or pendulum in a timepiece
- the condition of a substance whose particles are dispersed through a fluid but not dissolved in it, esp. the condition of one having relatively large particles that will separate out on standing
- a substance in this condition
- the continuing of one or more tones of one chord into a following chord while the other tones are changed, so that a temporary dissonance is created
- the tone or tones so continued
Origin: Midieval Latin suspensio ; from Late Latin an arching ; from Classical Latin suspensus: see suspense
suspension definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act of suspending or the condition of being suspended, especially:a. A temporary abrogation or cessation, as of a law or rule.b. A temporary debarment, as from school or a privilege, especially as a punishment.c. A postponement, as of a judgment, opinion, or decision. See Synonyms at pause.
- Music a. The prolongation of one or more tones of a chord into a following chord to create a temporary dissonance.b. The tone so prolonged.
- A device from which a mechanical part is suspended.
- The system of springs and other devices that insulates the chassis of a vehicle from shocks transmitted through the wheels.
- Chemistry A system in which microscopically visible particles are dispersed throughout a less dense liquid or gas from which they are easily filtered but not easily settled because of system viscocity or molecular interactions.
Fugue No. 4 from J.S. Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier, Book I
suspension - Business Definition
- The temporary halting of an activity such as making payments or producing a product until corrective action is taken. For example, a government agency suspends financial assistance until the recipient makes changes in its accounting procedures.
- Discipline of an employee who is placed on temporary status without pay or duties.
suspension - Medical Definition
- A noncolloidal dispersion of solid particles in a liquid, often used for pharmaceutical preparations.
- The fixation of an organ to other tissue for support, as the uterus.
- The hanging of a part from a support, such as a plaster-encased limb.
suspension - Science Definition