When a student is told not to come to school for a week because of bad behavior, this is an example of a suspension.
When you put your disbelief on hold long enough to enjoy a movie about magic, this is an example of suspension of disbelief.
An example of a suspension is the springs and shocks in a car.
- An interruption or temporary cessation, as of an activity or of the application of a rule or law.
- A temporary prohibition or exclusion, as from attending school or enjoying a privilege, especially as a punishment.
- A postponement, as of a judgment, opinion, or decision.
- A temporary barring from an office, school, etc.
- A temporary stoppage of payment, service, etc.
- A temporary canceling, as of rules.
- A deferring of action on a sentence.
- A holding back of a judgment, etc.