- Respite is defined as a break or a rest.
An example of a respite is a family vacation.
- The definition of respite is a delay.
An example of a respite is governor putting off someone’s death sentence.
- To respite means to delay or postpone.
An example of to respite is to hold off discussing a specific subject at a meeting.
respite definition by Webster's New World
- a delay or postponement; esp., postponement of the carrying out of a death sentence; reprieve
- an interval of temporary relief or rest, as from pain, work, duty, etc.; lull
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French respit ; from Classical Latin respectus: see respect
respite definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A usually short interval of rest or relief. See Synonyms at pause.
- Law Temporary suspension of a death sentence; a reprieve.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French respit, from Latin respectus, refuge, looking back; see respect.
respite - Legal Definition