- one who breathes in a certain way: a mouth breather
- Slang one who telephones another person and then breathes audibly instead of talking
- a small vent, as for the release of moisture from an enclosed space
- a pause as for rest
- an easy contest, task, etc. coming between other, more difficult ones
- One that breathes, especially in a specified manner: a shallow breather.
- Informal A short rest period: took a breather after skiing for two hours.
- Informal An activity, such as strenuous exercise, that causes difficult breathing.
- A small vent allowing the passage of gas or liquid to or from an enclosed area.