- The state or quality of being diminutive.
Variant of diminutive
- much smaller than ordinary or average; very small; tiny
- Gram. expressing smallness or diminution: a diminutive suffix or name
Origin of diminutiveMiddle English and amp; Old French diminutif ; from Late Latin diminutivus ; from past participle of Classical Latin deminuere, diminish
- a very small person or thing
- a word or name formed from another by the addition of a suffix expressing smallness in size or, sometimes, endearment or condescension, as ringlet (ring + -let), Jackie (Jack + -ie), lambkin (lamb + -kin)
- such a suffix