- The definition of a notch is a cut in the shape of a "V" or a step or degree of measurement.
- An example of a notch is a V-shaped cut for hanging tools.
- An example of notch is a level of music loudness, turn up the sound a notch.
- Notch is defined as to cut a V shape in, record or keep score.
An example of to notch is to take note of the soccer game's score, a team that could notch 20 wins in one season.
notch definition by Webster's New World
- a concave or -shaped cut or indentation in an edge or across a surface
- ☆ a narrow pass with steep sides; defile; gap
- Informal a step; grade; degree; peg: a notch below average
Origin: probably ; from Middle English (a)n oche ; from Old French oche, osche, a notch ; from oschier, to notch
- to cut a notch or notches in; indent with notches
- to record or tally, as by means of notches
- notcher noun
notch definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A V-shaped cut.b. Such a cut used for keeping a record.
- A narrow pass between mountains.
- Informal A level or degree: a notch or two higher in quality.
- To cut a notch in.
- To record by or as if by making notches: notched the score on a stick.
- Informal To achieve; score: notched 30 wins in a single season.
Origin: Probably from a notch, alteration of an otch, from French oche, from Old French, from ochier, to notch.
notch - Medical Definition
- An indentation at the edge of a structure; an incisure.
- An upstroke or peak on a pulse tracing.