A diabetic jabs her finger to check her blood sugar.
jab definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb, intransitive verb jabbed, jabbing
- to poke or thrust, as with a sharp instrument
- to punch with short, straight blows
Origin: variant, variety of job
a quick thrust, blow, or punch
jab definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb jabbed jabbed, jab·bing, jabs verb, transitive
- To poke or thrust abruptly: jabbed a knife into the log.
- To stab or pierce: jabbed the steak with a fork.
- To punch (someone) with short blows.
- To make an abrupt poking or thrusting motion: jabbed at the pickles with his fork.
- To deliver a quick punch.
- A quick stab or blow.
- Sports A short straight punch in boxing.
Origin: Variant of job2.