- The definition of a prod is an action intended as a reminder, or is a poke with a finger or other pointed object.
- When you remind someone to do something, this reminder is an example of a prod.
- A poke with a finger is an example of a prod.
- To prod is to encourage someone to do something, or to poke at someone with your finger, foot or other pointed object.
- When you encourage your spouse to go back to school, this is an example of a time when you prod him to go to school.
- When you poke someone with your finger, this is an example of a time when you prod.
prod definition by Webster's New World
transitive verb prodded, prodding
- to jab or poke with or as with a pointed stick; goad
- to urge or stir into action
Origin: ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- the act of prodding; jab, poke, thrust, etc.
- something that prods; specif., a rod or pointed stick used in driving cattle
- prodder noun
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
prod definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb prod·ded, prod·ding, prods
- To jab or poke, as with a pointed object.
- To goad to action; incite.
- A pointed object used to prod: a cattle prod.
- An incitement; a stimulus.
Origin: Origin unknown.
- prodˈder noun
or prodnoun Offensive Slang
Used as a disparaging term for a Protestant.