Variant of urge
- to press upon the attention; present or speak of earnestly and repeatedly; plead, allege, or advocate strongly: to urge caution
- to entreat or plead with; ask, persuade, or solicit earnestly; press; exhort
- to stimulate or incite; provoke
- to drive or force onward; press forward; impel
- to ply (oars, etc.) vigorously
Origin: L urgere, to press hard: see wreak
- to make an earnest presentation of arguments, claims, charges, entreaties, etc.
- to exert a force that drives or impels, as to action
- the act of urging
- an impulse to do a certain thing; impelling influence or force, esp. an inner drive
- urger noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.