Variant of deny
- to declare (a statement) untrue; contradict
- to refuse to accept as true or right; reject as unfounded, unreal, etc.
- to refuse to acknowledge as one's own; disown; repudiate
- to refuse the use of or access to
- to refuse to grant or give
- to refuse the request of (a person)
- Obsolete to forbid
Origin: Middle English denien ; from Old French denier ; from Classical Latin denegare ; from de-, intensive plush negare, to deny: see negation
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.