- Present participle of deny.
Variant of deny
transitive verbdenied, denying
- to declare (a statement) untrue; contradict
- to refuse to accept as true or right; reject as unfounded, unreal, etc.
- to refuse to acknowledge as one's own; disown; repudiate
- to refuse the use of or access to
- to refuse to grant or give
- to refuse the request of (a person)
- Obsolete to forbid
Origin of denyMiddle English denien ; from Old French denier ; from Classical Latin denegare ; from de-, intensive + negare, to deny: see negation
- to do without desired things
- to abstain from