- The definition of consumption is buying and using something or how much of something has been used up.
- An example of consumption is when many members of the population go shopping.
- An example of consumption is eating a snack and some cookies.
- An example of consumption is when a person consumes 2 bushels vegetables per day.
- a consuming or being consumed
- Econ. the using up of goods or services, either by consumers or in the production of other goods
- the amount consumed
- a wasting away of the body
- a disease causing this; esp., formerly, tuberculosis of the lungs
Origin of consumptionMiddle English consumpcioun ; from Old French consomption ; from Classical Latin consumptio ; from consumptus, past participle of consumere
- a. The act or process of consuming.b. The state of being consumed.c. An amount consumed.
- Economics The using up of goods and services by consumer purchasing or in the production of other goods.
- a. A progressive wasting of body tissue.b. Pulmonary tuberculosis. No longer in scientific use.
Origin of consumptionMiddle English consumpcioun, from Latin cōnsūmptiō, cōnsūmptiōn-, a consuming, from cōnsūmptus, past participle of cōnsūmere, to consume; see consume.
From Old French consumpcion, from Latin consumptio.