The definition of conservation is the act of trying to protect or preserve something or the limiting of how much of a resource you use.noun
- An example of conservation is a program to try to preserve wetlands.
- An example of conservation is a program to try to save old buildings.
- An example of conservation is an attempt to minimize the amount of electricity you use by turning off lights when you leave a room.
- the act or practice of conserving; protection from loss, waste, etc.; preservation
- the official care, protection, or management of natural resources
- the preservation, reconditioning, and restoration of works of art
Origin: ME conservacioun < OFr conservation < L conservatio
- conservational adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The act or process of conserving.
- a. Preservation or restoration from loss, damage, or neglect: manuscripts saved from deterioration under the program of library conservation.b. The protection, preservation, management, or restoration of wildlife and of natural resources such as forests, soil, and water.
- The maintenance of a physical quantity, such as energy or mass, during a physical or chemical change.
- conˌser·vaˈtion·al adjective
conservation - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.