- Misuse is the wrong use of something.
An example of a misuse is using the word "then" instead of "than" when making a comparison.
- Misuse is defined as to use in the wrong way, or to abuse.
An example of misuse is for a politician to abuse his political power by granting contracts as favors to his friends.
transitive verb-·used′, -·us′ing
- to use incorrectly or improperly; misapply
- to treat badly or harshly; abuse
- incorrect or improper use
- Obs. bad or harsh treatment
transitive verbmis·used, mis·us·ing, mis·us·es
- To use incorrectly.
- To mistreat or abuse. See Synonyms at abuse.
mis- + use (noun)
(third-person singular simple present misuses, present participle misusing, simple past and past participle misused)
From mis- + use (verb)