pervert[pər vʉrt′; for n. pʉr′vʉrt′]
- The definition of a pervert is a person with abnormal sexual behavior.
An example of a pervert is someone who peeks into his or her neighbor's bathroom.
- Pervert is defined as to turn away from what is right or proper.
An example of pervert is to turn a fairy tale into a sick and twisted story.
- to cause to turn from what is considered right, good, or true; misdirect; lead astray; corrupt
- to turn to an improper use; misuse
- to change or misapply the meaning of; misinterpret; distort; twist
- to bring into a worse condition; debase
Origin of pervertMiddle English perverten ; from Old French pervertir ; from Classical Latin pervertere, to overturn, corrupt ; from per-, intensive + vertere, to turn: see verse
transitive verbper·vert·ed, per·vert·ing, per·verts
- To cause to turn away from what is right, proper, or good; debase: “yet another example of justice being perverted in an attempt to secure more convictions” (Economist).
- To corrupt (someone) morally. See Synonyms at corrupt.
- To interpret incorrectly; misconstrue or distort: an analysis that perverts the meaning of the poem.
Origin of pervertMiddle English perverten, from Old French pervertir, from Latin pervertere : per-, per- + vertere, to turn; see wer-2 in Indo-European roots.
- convert (religious)
(third-person singular simple present perverts, present participle perverting, simple past and past participle perverted)
- To turn another way; to divert.
- To turn from truth, rectitude, or propriety; to divert from a right use, end, or way; to lead astray; to corrupt.
- To misapply; to misinterpret designedly.
- pervert one's words
- (intransitive) To become perverted; to take the wrong course.