- Debauch is defined as the act of indulging in sensual pleasures.
When you love good food and fine wine and you are always going out for extravagant dinners, this is an example of debauch.
- To debauch is defined as to seduce or corrupt someone's morality.
When a man seduces a woman and tricks her into doing inappropriate sexual acts, this is an example of when he debauches her.
debauch definition by Webster's New World
Origin: French débaucher ; from Old French desbaucher, to seduce, origin, originally , to separate (branches from trunk) ; from des-, away from plush bauch, beam, tree trunk ; from Frankish an unverified form balko, beam: for Indo-European base see balk
- debauchery (sense )
- an orgy
Origin: Fr débauche < the v.
debauch definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb de·bauched, de·bauch·ing, de·bauch·es verb, transitive
- a. To corrupt morally.b. To lead away from excellence or virtue.
- To reduce the value, quality, or excellence of; debase. See Synonyms at corrupt.
- Archaic To cause to forsake allegiance.
- The act or a period of debauchery.
- An orgy.
Origin: French débaucher, from Old French desbauchier, to lead astray, roughhew timber : des-, de- + bauch, beam, of Germanic origin.
- de·bauchˈed·ly adverb
- de·bauchˈer noun