- The definition of profane is something that is obscene or contrary to religious teachings.
An example of profane is pornography.
- To profane is to treat someone or something disrespectfully, especially someone or something sacred.
An example of profane is when you insult the Pope.
- not connected with religion or religious matters; secular: profane art
- not initiated into the inner mysteries or esoteric knowledge of something
- not hallowed or consecrated
- showing disrespect or contempt for sacred things; irreverent
Origin of profaneLate Middle English prophane ; from Middle French ; from Classical Latin profanus ; from pro-, before + fanum, temple; literally , outside of the temple, hence not sacred, common: see pro- and amp; fane
- to treat (sacred things) with irreverence or contempt; desecrate
- to put to a base or improper use; debase; defile
- Marked by contempt or irreverence for what is sacred.
- Nonreligious in subject matter, form, or use; secular: sacred and profane music.
- Not admitted into a body of secret knowledge or ritual; uninitiated.
- Vulgar; coarse.
transitive verbpro·faned, pro·fan·ing, pro·fanes
- To treat with irreverence: profane the name of God.
- To put to an improper, unworthy, or degrading use; abuse.
Origin of profaneMiddle English prophane, from Old French, from Latin prof&amacron;nus, from pr&omacron; f&amacron;n&omacron;, in front of the temple : pr&omacron;-, before, outside; see pro–1 + f&amacron;n&omacron;, ablative of f&amacron;num, temple; see dh&emacron;s- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative profaner or more profane, superlative profanest or most profane)
- Unclean; ritually impure; unholy, desecrating a holy place or thing.
- Not sacred or holy, unconsecrated; relating to non-religious matters, secular.
- Treating sacred things with contempt, disrespect, irreverence, or undue familiarity; blasphemous, impious. Hence, specifically; Irreverent in language; taking the name of God in vain; given to swearing; blasphemous; as, a profane person, word, oath, or tongue.
- a profane person, word, oath, or tongue
- A person or thing that is profane.
- (freemasonry) A person not a Mason.
(third-person singular simple present profanes, present participle profaning, simple past and past participle profaned)