Variant of spend
- to use up, exhaust, consume, or wear out: his fury was spent
- to pay out (money); disburse
- to give or devote (time, labor, thought, or effort) to some enterprise or for some purpose
- to pass (a period of time): spending hours together
- to waste; squander
Origin: Middle English spenden from Old English spendan (in compound ) from Midieval Latin spendere from Classical Latin expendere: see expend
- to pay out or use up money, etc.
- Obsolete to be or become consumed, wasted, etc.
- spendable adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.