Filling a glass with wine.
filling definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the act of one that fills
- a thing used to fill something else or to supply what is lacking; specif.,
- the metal, plastic, etc. inserted by a dentist into a prepared cavity in a tooth
- the foodstuff used between the slices of a sandwich, in a pastry shell, etc.
- ☆ the crosswise threads, or weft, in a woven fabric
filling definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- An act or instance of filling.
- Something used to fill a space, cavity, or container: a gold filling in a tooth.
- An edible mixture used to fill pastries, sandwiches, or cakes: a pie filling. See Regional Note at frosting.
- The horizontal threads that cross the warp in weaving; weft.
filling - Medical Definition
Material, such as amalgam, gold, or a synthetic resin, used to fill a cavity in a tooth.