An example of an amalgam is a mixture of silver and mercury which is used as a dental filling.
- any alloy of mercury with another metal or other metals: silver amalgam is used as a dental filling
- a combination or mixture; blend
Origin of amalgamMiddle English ; from Medieval Latin amalgama, probably via Arabic ; from Classical Greek malagma, an emollient ; from malassein, to soften: for Indo-European base see mill
- Any of various alloys of mercury with other metals, especially:a. An alloy of mercury and silver used in dental fillings.b. An alloy of mercury and tin used in silvering mirrors.
- A combination of diverse elements; a mixture: an amalgam of strength, reputation, and commitment to ethical principles.
Origin of amalgamMiddle English, from Old French amalgame, from Medieval Latin amalgama, probably ultimately from Greek malagma, soft mass.
(third-person singular simple present amalgams, present participle amalgaming, simple past and past participle amalgamed)
- (archaic, intransitive) To amalgamate.