- The definition of amalgamate means to combine or mix two or more things together.
An example of the word amalgamate is the process of combining flour and butter to create a roux.
- In science, the definition of amalgamate is to mix a metal with mercury.
An example of the word amalgamate is to mix silver with mercury to create dental fillings.
amalgamate definition by Webster's New World
- amalgamative adjective
amalgamate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb a·mal·ga·mat·ed, a·mal·ga·mat·ing, a·mal·ga·mates verb, transitive
- To combine into a unified or integrated whole; unite. See Synonyms at mix.
- To mix or alloy (a metal) with mercury.
- To become combined; unite.
- To unite or blend with another metal.
- a·malˈga·maˌtive adjective
- a·malˈga·maˌtor noun