- The definition of amalgamate means to combine or mix two or more things together.
An example of the word amalgamate is the process of combining flour and butter to create a roux.
- In science, the definition of amalgamate is to mix a metal with mercury.
An example of the word amalgamate is to mix silver with mercury to create dental fillings.
- to combine in an amalgam
- to join together into one; unite; combine
verba·mal·ga·mat·ed, a·mal·ga·mat·ing, a·mal·ga·mates
- To combine into a unified or integrated whole; unite. See Synonyms at mix.
- To mix or alloy (a metal) with mercury.
- To become combined; unite.
- To unite or blend with another metal. Used of mercury.
(third-person singular simple present amalgamates, present participle amalgamating, simple past and past participle amalgamated)
From Medieval Latin amalgamātus, past participle of amalgamāre, amalgama.