- When a bunch of voices all mix together to become a general hum of conversation, this is an example of a situation where the voices mingle.
- When you move about a party and talk to different people, this is an example of a situation where you mingle.
To mingle is defined as to mix together, or participate with others at a party or social event.
transitive verb-·gled, -·gling
- to bring or mix together; combine; blend
- Now Rare to make by mixing ingredients; compound
Origin of mingleMiddle English mengelen, frequentative of mengen from Old English mengan, to mix, akin to German mengen from Indo-European base an unverified form menk-, to knead from source Classical Greek massein
- to be or become mixed, blended, etc.
- to join, unite, associate, or take part with others; specif., to interact with others at a party or other social gathering
verbmin·gled, min·gling, min·gles
To mix or bring together in combination: a breeze that mingles the sea air with the scent of pines; love that is mingled with grief. See Synonyms at mix.
- To be or become mixed or united: The children's voices mingled in the hall.
- To associate or take part with others: The faculty mingled with the trustees.
Origin of mingleMiddle English menglen frequentative of mengen to mix from Old English mengan ; see mag- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present mingles, present participle mingling, simple past and past participle mingled)
- To mix; intermix; to combine or join, as an individual or part, with other parts, but commonly so as to be distinguishable in the product; to confuse; to confound.
- Across the city yesterday, there was a feeling of bittersweet reunion as streams of humanity converged and mingled at dozens of memorial services. "” New York Times
- To associate or unite in society or by ties of relationship; to cause or allow to intermarry; to intermarry.
- To deprive of purity by mixture; to contaminate.
- To make or prepare by mixing the ingredients of.
- (intransitive) To become mixed or blended.
- (obsolete) A mixture.