Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
transitive verb socialized, socializing
- to make social; adjust to or make fit for cooperative group living
- to adapt or make conform to the common needs of a social group
- to subject to governmental ownership and control; nationalize
- to cause to become socialist
to take part in social activity
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
verb so·cial·ized, so·cial·iz·ing, so·cial·iz·es verb, transitive
- To place under government or group ownership or control.
- To make fit for companionship with others; make sociable.
- To convert or adapt to the needs of society.
To take part in social activities.
- soˌcial·i·zaˈtion noun
- soˈcial·izˌer noun