- The definition of fraternize is to chat in a friendly, brotherly way, or to get close to an enemy.
- An example of fraternize is to mingle with coworkers at a party.
- An example of fraternize is to date someone on the side you are fighting against.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
intransitive verb frat·er·nized, frat·er·niz·ing, frat·er·niz·es
- To associate with others in a brotherly or congenial way.
- To associate on friendly terms with an enemy or opposing group, often in violation of discipline or orders.
Origin: French fraterniser, from Medieval Latin frāternizāre, from Latin frāternus, fraternal; see fraternal.
- fratˌer·ni·zaˈtion noun
- fratˈer·nizˌer noun