- The definition of fraternize is to chat in a friendly, brotherly way, or to get close to an enemy.
- An example of fraternize is to mingle with coworkers at a party.
- An example of fraternize is to date someone on the side you are fighting against.
fraternize definition by Webster's New World
fraternize definition by American Heritage Dictionary
intransitive verb frat·er·nized, frat·er·niz·ing, frat·er·niz·es
- To associate with others in a brotherly or congenial way.
- To associate on friendly terms with an enemy or opposing group, often in violation of discipline or orders.
Origin: French fraterniser, from Medieval Latin frāternizāre, from Latin frāternus, fraternal; see fraternal.
- fratˌer·ni·zaˈtion noun
- fratˈer·nizˌer noun