An example of a superstructure is the lobby and floors in a high rise building.
- a structure built on top of another: sometimes used fig.
- that part of a building above the foundation
- that part of a ship above the main deck
- A physical or conceptual structure extended or developed from a basic form.
- The part of a building or other structure above the foundation.
- The parts of a ship's structure above the main deck.
- The rails, sleepers, and other parts of a railway.
- In Marxist theory, the ideologies or institutions of a society as distinct from the basic processes and direct social relations of material production and economics.
- (nautical) Any structure built above the top full deck. (FM 55-501).
- Any material structure or edifice built on something else; that which is raised on a foundation or basis
- all that part of a building above the basement. Also used figuratively.
- (UK) (railroad) The sleepers, and fastenings, in distinction from the roadbed.