- Infiltrate is defined as to pass through gaps, particularly into enemy lines or in the case of liquid passing through a substance.
An example of to infiltrate is for an army to pass through weak points in the enemy's line and seize the enemy's city.
infiltrate definition by Webster's New World
intransitive verb, transitive verb infiltrated, infiltrating
- to pass, or cause (a fluid, cell, etc.) to pass, through small gaps or openings; filter
- to pass through, as in filtering
- to pass, or cause (individual troops) to pass, through weak places in the enemy's lines in order to attack the enemy's flanks or rear
- to penetrate, or cause to penetrate (a region or group) gradually or stealthily, so as to attack or to seize control from within
Origin: in- plush filtrate
something that infiltrates
infiltrate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
verb in·fil·trat·ed, in·fil·trat·ing, in·fil·trates verb, transitive
- a. To pass (troops, for example) surreptitiously into enemy-held territory.b. To penetrate with hostile intent: infiltrate enemy lines; terrorists that had infiltrated the country.
- To enter or take up positions in gradually or surreptitiously, as for purposes of espionage or takeover: infiltrated key government agencies with spies.
- To cause (a liquid, for example) to permeate a substance by passing through its interstices or pores.
- To permeate (a porous substance) with a liquid or gas.
To gain entrance gradually or surreptitiously.noun
One that infiltrates, especially an abnormal substance that accumulates gradually in cells or body tissues.
- in·filˈtra·tive adjective
- in·filˈtra·tor noun
infiltrate - Medical Definition
- To cause a liquid to permeate a substance by passing through its interstices or pores.
- To permeate a porous substance with a liquid or gas.
An abnormal substance that accumulates gradually in cells or body tissues.