- The definition of maintenance is providing support or upkeep to something.
An example of maintenance is a janitor keeping a school clean.
Waxing is part of the maintenance of this floor.
- a maintaining or being maintained; upkeep, support, defense, etc.; specif., the work of keeping a building, machinery, etc. in a state of good repair
- means of support or sustenance; livelihood: a job that barely provides a maintenance
- Law the act of interfering unlawfully in a suit between others by helping either party, as by giving money, to carry it on
Origin of maintenanceMiddle English maintenaunce ; from Old French maintenance
- The act of maintaining or the state of being maintained: nutrients essential to the maintenance of good health.
- The work of keeping something in proper condition; upkeep: car maintenance.
- a. Provision of support or livelihood: took over the maintenance of her family.b. Means of support or livelihood: was ordered to pay maintenance for both children.
- Law The wrongful aiding of another in the pursuit or defense of a lawsuit, especially in jurisdictions where nonparties are legally prohibited to provide financial assistance.
Origin of maintenanceMiddle English maintenaunce, from Old French maintenance, from maintenir, to maintain; see maintain.
- Actions performed to keep some machine or system functioning or in service
- (law) A tort committed when a third party who does not have a bona fide interest in a lawsuit provides help or acquires an interest to a litigant's lawsuit.
- (law) A provision ordered to be made by way of periodical payments or a lump sum, as after a divorce for a spouse.
maintenance - Computer Definition
(1) Hardware maintenance is the testing and cleaning of equipment.
(2) Information system maintenance is the routine updating of master files, such as adding and deleting employees and customers and changing credit limits and product prices.
(3) Software, or program, maintenance is the updating of application programs in order to meet changing information requirements, such as adding new functions and changing data formats. It also includes fixing bugs and adapting the software to new hardware devices.
(4) Disk or file maintenance is the periodic reorganizing of disk files that have become fragmented due to continuous updating.
maintenance - Legal Definition
- Financial support paid by one ex-spouse to another pursuant to a legal separation or divorce.
- The effort and expense of the upkeep of property.
- To assist a party to a lawsuit with which one has no connection by providing financial or other support to enable the party to pursue the matter.