- Sustenance is nourishment or support.
An example of sustenance is fruit and vegetables.
- a sustaining or being sustained
- one's means of livelihood; maintenance; support
- that which sustains life; nourishment; food
Origin of sustenanceMiddle English ; from Old French soustenance ; from Late Latin sustinentia, patience, endurance ; from Classical Latin sustinere: see sustain
- The supporting of life or health; maintenance or means of livelihood: The factory provides sustenance for half the town.
- Something, especially food, that sustains life or health: looking for sustenance in the kitchen.
- Something that sustains something else; essential support: researchers seeking financial sustenance.
Origin of sustenanceMiddle English, from Old French, from sustenir, to sustain; see sustain.