- Nutrition is nourishment or energy that is obtained from food consumed or the process of consuming the proper amount of nourishment and energy.
- An example of nutrition is the nutrients found in fruits and vegetables.
- An example of nutrition is eating a healthy diet.
Foods for good nutrition.
nutrition definition by Webster's New World
- a nourishing or being nourished; esp., the series of processes by which an organism takes in and assimilates food for promoting growth and replacing worn or injured tissues
- anything that nourishes; nourishment; food
- the science or study of proper, balanced diet to promote health, esp. in human beings
Origin: Middle French ; from Classical Latin nutritio, nutricio ; from nutrix, nurse
nutrition definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The process of nourishing or being nourished, especially the process by which a living organism assimilates food and uses it for growth and for replacement of tissues.
- The science or study that deals with food and nourishment, especially in humans.
- A source of nourishment; food.
Origin: Middle English nutricion, from Old French nutrition, from Late Latin nūtrītiō, nūtrītiōn-, from Latin nūtrītus, past participle of nūtrīre, to suckle; see (s)nāu- in Indo-European roots.
- nu·triˈtion·al adjective
- nu·triˈtion·al·ly adverb
nutrition - Medical Definition
- The process by which living organisms obtain food and use it for growth, metabolism, and repair. Its stages include ingestion, digestion, absorption, transport, assimilation, and excretion.
- The science that deals with food and nourishment, including dietary guidelines, food composition, and the roles that various nutrients have in maintaining health.
- nutritional adjective
nutrition - Science Definition
- The process by which living organisms obtain food and use it for growth, metabolism, and repair. The stages of nutrition include ingestion, digestion, absorption, transport, assimilation, and excretion.
- The scientific study of food and nourishment, including food composition, dietary guidelines, and the roles that various nutrients have in maintaining health.