- the act or process of taking in
- the amount or thing taken in
- the place at which a fluid is taken into a pipe, channel, etc.
- a narrowing; an abrupt lessening in breadth
- Mech. the amount of energy taken in
- Mining an air shaft
- An opening by which a fluid is admitted into a container or conduit.
- a. The act of taking in.b. The quantity taken in.c. Something, especially energy, taken in.
(countable and uncountable, plural intakes)
- The place where water or air is taken into a pipe or conduit; opposed to outlet.
- The beginning of a contraction or narrowing in a tube or cylinder.
- The quantity taken in.
- the intake of air
- An act or instance of taking in: an intake of oxygen or food.
- The people taken into an organisation or establishment at a particular time.
- the new intake of students
(third-person singular simple present intakes, present participle intaking, simple past and past participle intaken)
- To take or draw in (in all the senses of the noun).