intake definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the act or process of taking in
- the amount or thing taken in
- the place at which a fluid is taken into a pipe, channel, etc.
- a narrowing; an abrupt lessening in breadth
- Mech. the amount of energy taken in
- Mining an air shaft
intake definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An opening by which a fluid is admitted into a container or conduit.
- a. The act of taking in.b. The quantity taken in.c. Something, especially energy, taken in.