- the act of taking up; a drawing up, absorbing, etc.
- a pipe carrying smoke and gases from a furnace to its chimney
- a ventilating shaft or pipe
quick (or slow) on the uptake⌂
- A passage for drawing up smoke or air.
- Understanding; comprehension: very quick on the uptake.
- An act of taking in or absorbing, especially into a living organism.
(third-person singular simple present uptakes, present participle uptook, simple past and past participle uptaking)
- (archaic) To take up, to lift.
From Middle English uptaken, equivalent to up- +"Ž take.