- The definition of a fence is a dealer of stolen goods.
An example of a fence is a person at the flea market selling stolen car stereos.
- A fence is defined as a barrier used for protection or to create a boundary.
An example of a fence is a two foot wooden barrier around a person's front yard.
- Fence means to use bladed weapons for sport or fighting.
An example of to fence is how the character Inigo Montoya from the movie The Princess Bride fought his battles.
A wooden fence.
fence definition by Webster's New World
- Obsolete a protection; defense
- a barrier, as of wooden or metal posts, rails, wire mesh, etc., used as a boundary or means of protection or confinement
- the art of self-defense with foil, saber, or epee; fencing
- a person who deals in stolen goods
- a place where stolen goods are bought and sold
Origin: Middle English fens, aphetic for defens, defense
- to enclose, restrict, or hamper with or as with a fence: with in, off, etc.
- to keep (out) by or as by a fence
- Archaic to ward off; protect; defend
- to sell (stolen property) to a fence
- to practice the art of fencing
- to avoid giving a direct reply; be evasive (with); parry
- to deal in stolen goods
- fenceless adjective
fence definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A structure serving as an enclosure, a barrier, or a boundary, usually made of posts or stakes joined together by boards, wire, or rails.
- The art or sport of fencing.
- a. One who receives and sells stolen goods.b. A place where stolen goods are received and sold.
- Archaic A means of defense; a protection.
- To enclose with or as if with a fence. See Synonyms at enclose.
- To separate or close off by or as if by means of a fence.
- a. To ward off; keep away.b. To defend.
- To sell (stolen goods) to a fence.
- To practice the art or sport of fencing.
- To use tactics similar to the parry and thrust of fencing.
- To avoid giving direct answers; hedge.
- To act as a conduit for stolen goods.
Origin: Middle English fens, short for defens, defense; see defense.
- fencˈer noun
fence - Investment & Finance Definition
fence - Legal Definition
- An individual who buys and resells stolen goods or receives them on consignment.
- To buy stolen goods for resale, or receive them on consignment.
fence - Phrases/Idioms
mend one's fencesâ
on the fenceâ
on the fence