Variant of fence
- Obsolete a protection; defense
- a barrier, as of wooden or metal posts, rails, wire mesh, etc., used as a boundary or means of protection or confinement
- the art of self-defense with foil, saber, or epee; fencing
- a person who deals in stolen goods
- a place where stolen goods are bought and sold
Origin: Middle English fens, aphetic for defens, defense
- to enclose, restrict, or hamper with or as with a fence: with in, off, etc.
- to keep (out) by or as by a fence
- Archaic to ward off; protect; defend
- to sell (stolen property) to a fence
- to practice the art of fencing
- to avoid giving a direct reply; be evasive (with); parry
- to deal in stolen goods
- fenceless adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.