- a male godparent
- a man who acts as an advisor or mentor to someone
- Informal the head of a Mafia family or syndicate
- Slang any person having much influence or authority in some area
- A man who sponsors a person at baptism.
- One that has a relationship to another person or to something that is the equivalent of being a baptismal sponsor: the godfather of a new generation of nuclear physicists.
- Slang The leader of an organized crime family.
transitive verbgod·fa·thered, god·fa·ther·ing, god·fa·thers
(third-person singular simple present godfathers, present participle godfathering, simple past and past participle godfathered)
- (often figuratively) To act as godfather to.
From Middle English godfader, from Old English godfæder (“godfather”), equivalent to god + father. Cognate with Old Saxon godfader (“godfather”), Middle Dutch godvader (“godfather”), Danish gudfader, gudfar (“godfather”), Swedish gudfader, gudfar (“godfather”), Icelandic guðfaðir (“godfather”).