- a male godparent
- a man who acts as an advisor or mentor to someone
- Informal the head of a Mafia family or syndicate
- Slang any person having much influence or authority in some area
See godfather in American Heritage Dictionary 4
transitive verb god·fa·thered
- A man who sponsors a person at baptism.
- One that has a relationship to another person or to something that is the equivalent of being a baptismal sponsor: the godfather of a new generation of nuclear physicists.
- Slang The leader of an organized crime family.
To serve as or as if a godfather to.
Learn more about godfather