- The definition of a handicap is a race where the competition is evened out by giving advantages to the weaker competitor and making the race more difficult for the stronger competitor, or something that is a disadvantage.
- An example of a handicap is a race where heavier people have to carry less weight and the lighter people have to carry more weight.
- An example of a handicap is a broken leg.
- Handicap is defined as to cause a disadvantage.
An example of handicap is to pour a slippery substance over an obstacle course.
handicap definition by Webster's New World
- a race or other competition in which difficulties are imposed on the superior contestants, or advantages given to the inferior, to make their chances of winning equal
- such a difficulty or advantage
- something that hampers a person; disadvantage; hindrance
- a physical disability
Origin: origin, originally a game in which forfeits were drawn from a cap or hat ; from hand in cap
handicap definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Sports & Games a. A race or contest in which contestants are given advantages or compensations to equalize the chances of winning.b. Such an advantage or penalty.
- A physical or mental disability. See Synonyms at disadvantage.
- A hindrance.
- Sports & Games To assign handicaps or a handicap to (a contestant).
- To cause to be at a disadvantage; impede.
Origin: From obsolete hand in cap, a game in which forfeits were held in a cap.
handicap - Medical Definition
handicap - Phrases/Idioms