- The definition of agreement means the act of coming to a mutual decision, position or arrangement.
An example of an agreement is the decision between two people to share the rent in an apartment.
- the act or fact of agreeing, or of being in harmony or accord
- an understanding or arrangement between two or more people, countries, etc.
- a contract
- Gram. correspondence, as between subject and verb, in number, person, etc.
- a. The act of agreeing: When did the agreement take place?b. Harmony of opinion; accord: Since we are all in agreement, let's proceed.
- An arrangement between parties, usually resulting from a discussion, regarding a course of action.
- Law a. A properly executed and legally binding contract.b. The writing or document embodying this contract.
- Grammar Correspondence in gender, number, case, or person between words.
analogy an agreement or correspondence in particular features between things otherwise dissimilar; in literature, the basis for metaphor and simile. —analogie, analogical, adj. arbiter one chosen to settle a controversy; an umpire or arbitrator. arbitress a female arbiter. armistice a temporary cessation of hostilities, by agreement between the belligerents, prior to the negotiation or signing of a peace treaty. comity amity. conciliation the process of conciliating or bringing to agreement. —conciliator, n. congruence a correspondence in physical structure or thought; harmony. Also congruity. —congruent, adj. consilience the process of concurring or agreeing. See also chance. consonance, consonancy agreement, consistency. dialogue a frank exchange of ideas, spoken or written, for the purpose of meeting in harmony. equipollence, equipollency equalness of force, validity, etc. See also logic. —equipollent, adj. indentureship 1. the state or period of being indentured or apprenticed; apprenticeship. 2. the state or period of being a servant bound to service for a specified time in return for passage to a colony. negotiation the act or process of conferring or discussing to reach agreement in matters of business or state. See also trade. —negotiant, negotiator, negotriatrix, n. similarity a point, feature, or detail in which two items are alike.
(countable and uncountable, plural agreements)
- (countable) An understanding between entities to follow a specific course of conduct.
- to enter an agreement; the UK and US negotiators nearing agreement; he nodded his agreement.
- (uncountable) A state whereby several parties share a view or opinion; the state of not contradicting one another.
- The results of my experiment are in agreement with those of Michelson and with the law of General Relativity.
- (uncountable, law) A legally binding contract enforceable in a court of law.
- (uncountable, linguistics) Rules that exist in many languages that force some parts of a sentence to be used or inflected differently depending on certain attributes of other parts.
From Old French agreement, agrement.
agreement - Legal Definition
- A mutual understanding between two or more legally competent individuals or entities about their rights and duties regarding their past or future performances and consideration. While an agreement usually leads to a contract, it could also be an executed sale, a gift or other transfer of property, or a promise without a legal obligation.
- The understanding between two or more legally competent individuals or entities about the rights and duties regarding their past or future performances and consideration as manifested by their language (oral or written) or by implication from other circumstances such as the usage of trade and the course of performance. See also contract.
A mutual understanding between two or more legally competent individuals or entities that they will later enter into a contract even though the contract’s exact terms have not yet been decided; non-binding.binding agreement
An enforceable agreement or contract.collective bargaining agreement
A contract between an employer and a union or other representative, voluntarily selected by a majority of the employer’s workers within a bargaining group, concerning the wages, hours, and other conditions of employment for that group.divorce agreement
An agreement between spouses made during a divorce concerning child custody, child and spousal support, property distribution, and other matters. Such agreements are usually incorporated into the parties’ divorce decree. See separation agreement.gentlemen’s agreement
An agreement not intended by the parties to be legally enforceable, but that is expected to be performed or followed as a matter of friendship or honor. May or may not involve illegal subject matter such as gambling bets.postnuptial agreement
An agreement between spouses made during their marriage to determine the right to support and each other’s property in case of death or divorce. Such agreements are not enforceable unless each party makes a full disclosure to the other of their assets and has consulted with their own attorneys. Even then, most such agreements are not enforceable unless made by spouses who are in the midst of a separation or divorce.prenuptial agreement
An agreement between spouses made before their marriage to determine the right to support and each other’s property in case of death or divorce. Generally, such agreements are enforceable, especially if both parties make a full disclosure of individual assets and have consulted with their own attorneys. See also postnuptial agreement and separation agreement.property settlement agreement
See separation agreement.separation agreement
An agreement between spouses made during a divorce or while obtaining a legal separation concerning child custody, child and spousal support, property distribution, and other matters. Such agreements are usually incorporated into the parties’ divorce decree or into a judicial decree granting a separation to the parties. Frequently referred to as property settlement agreement (PSA).simple agreement
An agreement for which nothing is legally required to make it enforceable other then some evidence that the agreement was made and the parties consent to it.unconscionable agreement
Same as adhesion contract. See contract.