- The definition of agreement means the act of coming to a mutual decision, position or arrangement.
An example of an agreement is the decision between two people to share the rent in an apartment.
- the act or fact of agreeing, or of being in harmony or accord
- an understanding or arrangement between two or more people, countries, etc.
- a contract
- Gram. correspondence, as between subject and verb, in number, person, etc.
- a. The act of agreeing: When did the agreement take place?b. Harmony of opinion; accord: Since we are all in agreement, let's proceed.
- An arrangement between parties, usually resulting from a discussion, regarding a course of action.
- Law a. A properly executed and legally binding contract.b. The writing or document embodying this contract.
- Grammar Correspondence in gender, number, case, or person between words.
(countable and uncountable, plural agreements)
- (countable) An understanding between entities to follow a specific course of conduct.
- to enter an agreement; the UK and US negotiators nearing agreement; he nodded his agreement.
- (uncountable) A state whereby several parties share a view or opinion; the state of not contradicting one another.
- The results of my experiment are in agreement with those of Michelson and with the law of General Relativity.
- (uncountable, law) A legally binding contract enforceable in a court of law.
- (uncountable, linguistics) Rules that exist in many languages that force some parts of a sentence to be used or inflected differently depending on certain attributes of other parts.
- agreed upon
From Old French agreement, agrement.
agreement - Legal Definition
- A mutual understanding between two or more legally competent individuals or entities about their rights and duties regarding their past or future performances and consideration. While an agreement usually leads to a contract, it could also be an executed sale, a gift or other transfer of property, or a promise without a legal obligation.
- The understanding between two or more legally competent individuals or entities about the rights and duties regarding their past or future performances and consideration as manifested by their language (oral or written) or by implication from other circumstances such as the usage of trade and the course of performance. See also contract.