The definition of a sticking point is an issue or situation, disagreement or problem that is impeding progress.
An example of a sticking point is when you have an agreement on almost everything with your new boss except what time you can leave for lunch.
- a point beyond which someone or something will not budge
- a point or issue that delays or hinders progress or resolution
A point, issue, or situation that causes or is likely to cause an impasse.
(plural sticking points)
- (idiomatic) A disputed issue or state of affairs that causes an interruption or outright impasse in progress towards some goal or resolution, especially in negotiation or argumentation.
- (idiomatic, dated) The point at which a process or thing, especially a state of mind or emotion, reaches its greatest strength and remains steadfast; sticking-place.
- Alternative form of sticking point.