The definition of an imbroglio is an embarrassing and often complex mess or misunderstanding.
When your wife and mistress show up at the same time for a dinner date, this is an example of an imbroglio.
- Rare a confused heap
- an involved and confusing situation; state of confusion and complication
- a confused misunderstanding or disagreement
Origin of imbroglioItalian from imbrogliare, to embroil from or akin to Middle French embrouiller: see en- and broil
- a. A difficult or intricate situation; an entanglement.b. A confused or complicated disagreement.
- Archaic A confused heap; a tangle.
Origin of imbroglioItalian from Old Italian from imbrogliare to tangle, confuse in- in ( from Latin; see in- 2. ) brogliare to mix, stir ( probably from Old French brooiller, brouiller ; see broil 2. )
- The Italian plural imbrogli does not appear to be used in English.