- The definition of an imbroglio is an embarrassing and often complex mess or misunderstanding.
When your wife and mistress show up at the same time for a dinner date, this is an example of an imbroglio.
- Rare a confused heap
- an involved and confusing situation; state of confusion and complication
- a confused misunderstanding or disagreement
Origin of imbroglioItalian ; from imbrogliare, to embroil ; from or akin to Middle French embrouiller: see en- and amp; broil
- a. A difficult or intricate situation; an entanglement.b. A confused or complicated disagreement.
- Archaic A confused heap; a tangle.
Origin of imbroglioItalian, from Old Italian, from imbrogliare, to tangle, confuse : in-, in (from Latin; see in–2) + brogliare, to mix, stir (probably from Old French brooiller, brouiller; see broil2).
- The Italian plural imbrogli does not appear to be used in English.