- The definition of an imbroglio is an embarrassing and often complex mess or misunderstanding.
When your wife and mistress show up at the same time for a dinner date, this is an example of an imbroglio.
imbroglio definition by Webster's New World
- Rare a confused heap
- an involved and confusing situation; state of confusion and complication
- a confused misunderstanding or disagreement
Origin: Italian ; from imbrogliare, to embroil ; from or akin to Middle French embrouiller: see en- and amp; broil
imbroglio definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. im·bro·glios
- a. A difficult or intricate situation; an entanglement.b. A confused or complicated disagreement.
- A confused heap; a tangle.
Origin: Italian, from Old Italian, from imbrogliare, to tangle, confuse : in-, in (from Latin; see in-2) + brogliare, to mix, stir (probably from Old French brooiller, brouiller; see broil2).