- The definition of summary is a statement presenting the main points.
An example of summary is a type of review of what happened at a meeting.
- Summary is defined as a quick or short review of what happened.
An example of summary is the explanation of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" told in under two minutes.
- that presents the substance or general idea in brief form; summarizing; concise; condensed
- prompt and without formality; expeditious: summary punishment
- hasty and arbitrary: a summary dismissal
Origin of summaryMiddle English ; from Medieval Latin summarius ; from Classical Latin summa, sum
Origin of summaryL summarium: see summarythe
- Presenting the substance in a condensed form; concise: a summary review.
- Performed speedily and without ceremony: summary justice; a summary rejection.
Origin of summaryMiddle English, from Medieval Latin summārius, of or concerning the sum, from Latin summa, sum; see sum .
(comparative more summary, superlative most summary)