- The definition of summary is a statement presenting the main points.
An example of summary is a type of review of what happened at a meeting.
- Summary is defined as a quick or short review of what happened.
An example of summary is the explanation of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" told in under two minutes.
- that presents the substance or general idea in brief form; summarizing; concise; condensed
- prompt and without formality; expeditious: summary punishment
- hasty and arbitrary: a summary dismissal
Origin of summaryMiddle English from Medieval Latin summarius from Classical Latin summa, sum
Origin of summaryL summarium: see summarythe adjective
- A brief statement mentioning the main points of something: a summary of our findings.
- Prose that provides information in a condensed format, as by mentioning only the most significant details of a narrative: The novelist did not like writing dialogue and preferred to write stories in summary.
- Presenting the substance in a condensed form; concise: a summary review.
- Performed speedily and without ceremony: summary justice; a summary rejection.
Origin of summaryMiddle English from Medieval Latin summārius of or concerning the sum from Latin summa sum ; see sum.
(comparative more summary, superlative most summary)