The definition of summary is a statement presenting the main points.adjective
An example of summary is a type of review of what happened at a meeting.
Summary is defined as a quick or short review of what happened.noun
An example of summary is the explanation of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" told in under two minutes.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- that presents the substance or general idea in brief form; summarizing; concise; condensed
- prompt and without formality; expeditious: summary punishment
- hasty and arbitrary: a summary dismissal
Origin: ME < ML summarius < L summa, sum
noun pl. summaries
Origin: L summarium: see summarythe
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Presenting the substance in a condensed form; concise: a summary review.
- Performed speedily and without ceremony: summary justice; a summary rejection.
Origin: Middle English, from Medieval Latin summārius, of or concerning the sum, from Latin summa, sum; see sum .
- sum·marˈi·ly adverb
- sumˈma·ri·ness noun