- The definition of summary is a statement presenting the main points.
An example of summary is a type of review of what happened at a meeting.
- Summary is defined as a quick or short review of what happened.
An example of summary is the explanation of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" told in under two minutes.
summary definition by Webster's New World
- that presents the substance or general idea in brief form; summarizing; concise; condensed
- prompt and without formality; expeditious: summary punishment
- hasty and arbitrary: a summary dismissal
Origin: Middle English ; from Midieval Latin summarius ; from Classical Latin summa, sum
Origin: L summarium: see summarythe
summary definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Presenting the substance in a condensed form; concise: a summary review.
- Performed speedily and without ceremony: summary justice; a summary rejection.
Origin: Middle English, from Medieval Latin summārius, of or concerning the sum, from Latin summa, sum; see sum .
- sum·marˈi·ly adverb
- sumˈma·ri·ness noun