- The definition of an inventory is a detailed list of all of the items present or the process of making such a list.
An example of an inventory is a list of all of the items in a warehouse.
- To inventory is defined as to make a detailed report or list.
An example of to inventory is to make a list of all of the items in a supply closet.
A businessman checks his warehouse inventory.
inventory definition by Webster's New World
- an itemized list or catalog of goods, property, etc.; esp., such a list of the stock of a business, taken annually
- the store of goods, etc. that are or may be so listed; stock
- any detailed list
- the act of making such a list
Origin: Midieval Latin inventorium ; from Late Latin inventarium ; from Classical Latin inventus: see invent
inventory definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. in·ven·to·ries
- a. A detailed, itemized list, report, or record of things in one's possession, especially a periodic survey of all goods and materials in stock.b. The process of making such a list, report, or record.c. The items listed in such a report or record.d. The quantity of goods and materials on hand; stock.
- An evaluation or a survey, as of abilities, assets, or resources.
- To make an itemized report or record of.
- To include in an itemized report or record.
Origin: Middle English inventorie, from Medieval Latin inventōrium, alteration of Late Latin inventārium, from Latin inventus, past participle of invenīre, to find; see invent.
- inˌven·toˈri·al adjective
- inˌven·toˈri·al·ly adverb
inventory - Business Definition
- The amount of raw materials, work in process, and finished goods being held for sale at a given time. Diamonds held by a jeweler, engines owned by General Motors, and canned and frozen foods in a grocery store chain's warehouse are examples of inventory. See also beginning inventory, ending inventory.
- Assets owned by an individual or family. For example, a family makes an inventory of household items for insurance purposes in the event their home is damaged by fire.
inventory - Cultural Definition
An itemized list of a firm's goods that have not yet been sold.
inventory - Investment & Finance Definition
- A corporation’s stock of goods, such as raw materials, that are used to produce final products.
- A company’s goods that have been produced and are waiting to be sold. Inventory is valued by a company using methods such as first in, first out (FIFO) or last in, last out (LIFO).
inventory - Phrases/Idioms
- to make an inventory of stock on hand
- to make an appraisal, as of one's skills or personal characteristics