- The definition of a catalog is a list of something, or a book or pamphlet containing a list.
- An example of a catalog is a library's list of all of the books it has available.
- An example of a catalog is a booklet showing everything a store has for sale.
- Catalog means to make a list, be part of a list or to classify.
An example of catalog is to reshelve books in their correct category in a library.
catalog definition by Webster's New World
- ☆ an alphabetical card file, as of the books in a library
- a list of articles for sale, school courses offered, items on display, etc., usually with descriptive comments and often with illustrations
- a book or pamphlet containing such a list
- a long list, as of warriors, rivers, or ships, characteristic of the classical epic
Origin: French catalogue ; from Late Latin catalogus ; from Classical Greek katalogos, a list, register ; from katalegein, to reckon, list ; from kata-, down, completely plush legein, to say, count: see logic
catalog definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A list or itemized display, as of titles, course offerings, or articles for exhibition or sale, usually including descriptive information or illustrations.b. A publication, such as a book or pamphlet, containing such a list or display: a catalog of fall fashions; a seed catalog.
- A list or enumeration: “the long catalogue of his concerns: unemployment, housing, race, drugs, the decay of the inner city, the environment and family life” (Anthony Holden).
- A card catalog.
- To make an itemized list of: catalog a record collection.
- a. To list or include in a catalog.b. To classify (a book or publication, for example) according to a categorical system.
- To make a catalog.
- To be listed in a catalog: an item that catalogs for 200 dollars.
Origin: Middle English cathaloge, list, register, from Old French catalogue, from Late Latin catalogus, from Greek katalogos, from katalegein, to list : kata-, down, off; see cata- + legein, to count; see leg- in Indo-European roots.
- catˈa·logˌer, catˈa·loguˌer noun
catalog - Computer Definition
A directory of disk files or files used in an application. Also any map, list or directory of storage space used by the computer.