- The definition of a catalog is a list of something, or a book or pamphlet containing a list.
- An example of a catalog is a library's list of all of the books it has available.
- An example of a catalog is a booklet showing everything a store has for sale.
- Catalog means to make a list, be part of a list or to classify.
An example of catalog is to reshelve books in their correct category in a library.
- ☆ an alphabetical card file, as of the books in a library
- a list of articles for sale, school courses offered, items on display, etc., usually with descriptive comments and often with illustrations
- a book or pamphlet containing such a list
- a long list, as of warriors, rivers, or ships, characteristic of the classical epic
Origin: French catalogue ; from Late Latin catalogus ; from Classical Greek katalogos, a list, register ; from katalegein, to reckon, list ; from kata-, down, completely plush legein, to say, count: see logic
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. A list or itemized display, as of titles, course offerings, or articles for exhibition or sale, usually including descriptive information or illustrations.b. A publication, such as a book or pamphlet, containing such a list or display: a catalog of fall fashions; a seed catalog.
- A list or enumeration: “the long catalogue of his concerns: unemployment, housing, race, drugs, the decay of the inner city, the environment and family life” (Anthony Holden).
- A card catalog.
- To make an itemized list of: catalog a record collection.
- a. To list or include in a catalog.b. To classify (a book or publication, for example) according to a categorical system.
- To make a catalog.
- To be listed in a catalog: an item that catalogs for 200 dollars.
Origin: Middle English cathaloge, list, register, from Old French catalogue, from Late Latin catalogus, from Greek katalogos, from katalegein, to list : kata-, down, off; see cata- + legein, to count; see leg- in Indo-European roots.
- catˈa·logˌer, catˈa·loguˌer noun
catalog - Computer Definition
A directory of disk files or files used in an application. Also any map, list or directory of storage space used by the computer.
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.