- The definition of a roster is a list of names, particularly in the military or on a sports team.
An example of a roster is a list of who is on a baseball team.
- a list of military or naval personnel or groups, specif. one showing their regular assignments and periods of duty
- any similar list, as the list of active players on a sports team
Origin of rosterDutch rooster, origin, originally , gridiron (; from roosten, to roast), hence a grating, list (from the ruled paper used in making lists)
Origin of rosterDutch rooster, gridiron, roster (from the ruled paper used for a roster), from roosten, to roast; akin to German r&odie;sten and English roast.
- A list of names, usually for an organization of some kind such as military officers and enlisted personnel enrolled in a particular unit; a muster roll; or a sports team, with the names of players who are eligible to be placed in the lineup for a particular game.
- A list of the jobs to be done by members of an organization and often with the date/time that they are expected to do them.
- The secretary has produced a new cleaning roster for the Church over the remainder of the year.
(third-person singular simple present rosters, present participle rostering, simple past and past participle rostered)
- The act of placing a name on a roster.
- I have rostered you for cleaning duties on the first Monday of each month.