- a roll of parchment, paper, etc., usually with writing or pictures on it
- an ancient book in the form of a rolled manuscript
- a list of names; roll; roster: the scroll of fame
- anything having the form of a partly unrolled or loosely rolled sheet of paper, as the volute of an Ionic capital, or the ornamentally rolled end of the neck of a violin, etc.
- the act or an instance of reading items in a scrolling display
Origin of scrollMiddle English scrowle, altered (? by associated, association with rowle, variant, variety of rolle, roll) from scrowe from Old French escroue: see escrow