- learning, law, instruction, etc.
- [usuallyT-] the whole body of Jewish religious literature, including the Scripture and the Talmud
- the Pentateuch
- pl. to·roth or to′rot , to·rahs or to′ras a parchment scroll containing the Pentateuch
Origin of torahClassical Hebrew (language) tora, law from hora, to teach from root jrh, to cast, throw
- The first five books of the Hebrew Scriptures. Bible
- A scroll of parchment containing the first five books of the Hebrew Scriptures, used in a synagogue during services.
- The entire body of religious law and learning including both sacred literature and oral tradition.
Origin of TorahHebrew tôrâ law, instruction from hôrâ to throw, direct, teach derived stem of yārâ to throw, shoot wrw