Invent is defined as to create something for the first time, or to think up.verb
- An example of invent is to make a brand new device for making a perfect cup of coffee.
- An example of invent is to create a story about why you didn’t do your homework.
- to think up; devise or fabricate in the mind: to invent excuses
- to think out or produce (a new device, process, etc.); originate, as by experiment; devise for the first time
- Archaic to find; discover
Origin: ME inventen < L inventus, pp. of invenire, to come upon, meet with, discover < in-, in, on + venire, to come
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb in·vent·ed, in·vent·ing, in·vents
- To produce or contrive (something previously unknown) by the use of ingenuity or imagination.
- To make up; fabricate: invent a likely excuse.
Origin: Latin invenīre, invent-, to find : in-, on, upon; see in-2 + venīre, to come; see gwā- in Indo-European roots.
- in·ventˈi·ble adjective
- in·venˈtor noun