- When you come up with a plan to solve a problem in your local schools, this is an example of a time when you formulate a plan.
- When a chemical reaction is simple enough to be written out in a basic chemical equation, this is an example of a time when you formulate the reaction.
The definition of formulate is to create a strategy or come up with a plan or idea, or to express an idea in a clear, concise way.
- to express in or reduce to a formula
- to express (a theory, plan, etc.) in a systematic way
- to work out or form in one's mind; devise, develop, contrive, etc.
transitive verbfor·mu·lat·ed, for·mu·lat·ing, for·mu·lates
- a. To state as or reduce to a formula.b. To express in systematic terms or concepts.c. To devise or invent: formulate strategy.
- To prepare according to a specified formula.
(third-person singular simple present formulates, present participle formulating, simple past and past participle formulated)
- To reduce to, or express in, a formula; to put in a clear and definite form of statement or expression.
From formula + -ate