- a collection of fixed or prescribed forms or formulas, as in a book
- a fixed or prescribed form or formula
- Pharmacy a list of medicines with their formulas and directions for compounding them
Origin of formularyFrench formulaire ; from Classical Latin formula, formula
- A book or other collection of stated and fixed forms, such as prayers.
- A statement expressed in formulas.
- A fixed form or pattern; a formula.
- A book containing a list of pharmaceutical substances along with their formulas, uses, and methods of preparation.
- A pharmacopoeia or list of available drugs, particularly prescription drugs
- (healthcare) A list of drugs, created by health insurers, hospitals, or prescription drug plans, that defines how costs for any drug are shared between patient and health care provider, typically broken down by tiers such as preferred generics with lowest copay, or preferred brand with higher copay, or non-preferred brand and not covered tiers with the highest cost to the patient.
- An ancient or medieval collection of models for official writings.
- A collection of formulas in sciences and mathematics.
(comparative more formulary, superlative most formulary)
- Stated; prescribed; ritual.
From French formulaire
formulary - Computer Definition
(1) A list of medicines, uses and procedure for preparation.
(2) A list of brand-name and generic medicines that are covered by a drug benefit plan such as administered by an insurance company or pharmacy benefit manager (PBM). See healthcare IT.