- The definition of long winded is someone who talks on and on, often to the point of becoming boring, or extended talking or stories that are being told.
- An example of a long winded person is someone who goes through every single detail of his day when asked how he is feeling.
- An example of a long winded story is one that lasts on and on after people have stopped being interested.
long-winded definition by Webster's New World
- capable of considerable exertion without getting out of breath
- speaking or writing at great, often tiresome length
- tiresomely long: said of a speech, writing, etc.
long-winded definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Wearisomely verbose: a long-winded speaker. See Synonyms at wordy.
- Able to maintain breathing power during exertion: a long-winded swimmer.
- longˈ-windˈed·ly adverb
- longˈ-windˈed·ness noun