- The definition of information is news or knowledge received or given.
An example of information is what's given to someone who asks for background about something.
You can get information from books.
information definition by Webster's New World
- an informing or being informed; esp., a telling or being told of something
- something told; news; intelligence; word
- knowledge acquired in any manner; facts; data; learning; lore
- a person or agency answering questions as a service to others
- in information theory and computer science, a precise measure of the information content of a message, measured in bits and ranging from zero when the entire message is known in advance to some maximum when nothing is known of its content
- any data that can be stored in and retrieved from a computer
- Law an accusation, under oath, of a criminal offense, not by indictment of a grand jury, but by a public officer, such as a prosecutor
Origin: Middle English informacioun ; from Old French information ; from Classical Latin informatio, a representation, outline, sketch
- informational adjective
information definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Knowledge derived from study, experience, or instruction.
- Knowledge of specific events or situations that has been gathered or received by communication; intelligence or news. See Synonyms at knowledge.
- A collection of facts or data: statistical information.
- The act of informing or the condition of being informed; communication of knowledge: Safety instructions are provided for the information of our passengers.
- Computer Science Processed, stored, or transmitted data.
- A numerical measure of the uncertainty of an experimental outcome.
- Law A formal accusation of a crime made by a public officer rather than by grand jury indictment.
- inˌfor·maˈtion·al adjective
information - Computer Definition
Information is the summarization of data. Technically, data are raw facts and figures that are processed into information, such as summaries and totals. But since information can also be the raw data for the next job or person, the two terms cannot be precisely defined, and both are used interchangeably. It may be helpful to view information the way it is structured and used, namely: data, text, spreadsheets, pictures, voice and video. Data are discretely defined fields. Text is a collection of words. Spreadsheets are data in matrix (row and column) form. Pictures are lists of vectors or frames of bits. Voice is a continuous stream of sound waves. Video is a sequence of image frames. See universal server.
information - Legal Definition