An example of an illuminati is someone who says they know the secrets of a specific religion.
- sing. -·to people who have or profess to have special intellectual or spiritual enlightenment
- any of various societies, sects, etc., historical or conjectured, of such people: such groups are usually secret and, often specif., thought to wield a furtive influence as over world affairs: usually with the
Origin of illuminatiItalian (or ModL) ; from L, plural of illuminatus: see illuminate
- People claiming to be unusually enlightened with regard to a subject.
- Illuminati Any of various groups claiming special religious or philosophical enlightenment.
Origin of illuminatiLatin illūminātī, from pl. of illūminātus, past participle of illūmināre, to light up; see illuminate.
- Any of various societies, sects or other people claiming religious or intellectual enlightenment.
- Persons in the early church who had received baptism and been given a lighted taper as a symbol of the spiritual illumination they had received.
- Members of a Spanish sect of the sixteenth century, who believed that, by means of prayer, they had attained so perfect a state as to have no need of ordinances, sacraments, good works, etc.; the Alumbrados or Perfectibilists.
- Members of certain associations in Europe who combined to promote social reform in pursuit of perfection; especially one originated in 1776 by Adam Weishaupt.
- An obscure sect of French familists.
- The Hesychasts, Mystics, and Quietists.
- The Rosicrucians.
- An alleged global, elite, secret society which has as its ultimate objective the subjugation of humanity (world domination or New World Order).
- The methods of control used by "Ming the Merciless, Rules of the Universe" in the 1980 film Flash Gordon are a metaphor for what some perceive to be the influence of the Illuminati on the real world.
illuminati - Computer Definition
The term refers to secret societies of the past; however, the Latin plural "ti" is used for countless groups of top people in every discipline. Following are the terms that relate to high tech. digerati the technical elite digilanti Internet vigilantes glasserati Google Glass users jitterati stressed Internet users numerati mathematical analysts Twitterati elite Twitter writers